Posts Tagged ‘what to do at the scene of an accident’
What do I do at the scene of a motor vehicle accident ? What should I do after the motor vehicle accident ?
What do I do at the scene of a motor vehicle accident ?
- Remain at the scene of the accident.
- Call the police and advise of the nature of injuries suffered.
- Provide the following information: your name and address, your vehicle permit number, and the name and address of the owner of the car (if it is not your car).
- Get the names, address, phone number, vehicle permit number and insurance information from the other driver(s) involved.
- Get the names, address, and phone numbers of any witnesses.
- Write down anything anybody says about how the accident happened.
- Tell the police officer if you think another driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Move the vehicles, or any debris, unless they are a potential hazard to other motorists; or
- Sign documents or discuss the accident with anyone but the police.
What should I do after the motor vehicle accident ?
- When you get to the hospital or to your home, you should call your insurance agent immediately. If you do not have your own insurance you may be entitled under someone else’s policy or through the Ontario’s Superintendent of Insurance through the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund.
- Make an appointment with your family doctor or attend a walk-in clinic.
- Take photographs of any damage to your car, truck, bicycle or motorcycle.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer.
- If you have any visible injuries, take photographs of these injuries. Also take photographs of any damaged clothing or belongings.
- Contact your employer or school and advise them that you were in an accident.
- Consider your needs for specialized equipment and home modifications.
- Keep a detailed record of all medications taken, assistance received from family, friends or professionals, all rehabilitation or doctors’ appointments, progress or development in physical, psychological or mental injuries, and all out of pocket expenses including parking, wheel chair rental, ambulance bills etc..
- Comply with all requirements of the Accident Benefits.
- Let your personal injury lawyer assist in completing the Accident Benefits forms.
- Provide any statements to your insurance company until you have consulted with a personal injury lawyer.
About Ottawa Ontario Injury Lawyer David Hollingsworth———————————————————————————— David Hollingsworth has been an Ottawa Ontario injury lawyer specializing in personal injury representing Ontario accident victims since 1999. David practices with an established Ottawa law firm of more than 50 years of experience in representing accident victims, and helping personal injury accident victims get the compensation they need at an incredibly difficult time in their lives. David offers free consultations, takes cases on contingency and travels to homes or hospitals. Visit www.ottawainjury.ca for more information. If you have a question, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org
mobile (613) 978-9549 (613) 237-4922 ext.203
Ontario Lawyers , Ottawa Lawyer , Injury Lawyers Ottawa , Ottawa law firm