How, when and where to file an Ottawa accident report. You don’t always have to call the Ottawa Police.
Ottawa Car Accident Lawyers David Hollingsworth on how to report an accident in Ottawa, Ontario
- No police report is required if total damages to all vehicles is under $1,000.
- If there are personal injuries and the vehicles cannot be driven, call 9-1-1 immediately.
- If there are no personal injuries, but the vehicles cannot be driven, call the Ottawa Police 613-230-6211
- If your vehicle can be driven and there are no personal injuries, drive all vehicles to the same Police Station to file an accident report.
Reporting a traffic accident
- A police report is not required if damage to all vehicles is under $1,000.
- If there are injuries and the vehicle(s) cannot be driven…call 9-1-1
- If there are no injuries, but the vehicle(s) cannot be driven… call 613-230-6211
- If the vehicle(s) can be safely driven and there are no injuries, as soon as possible, or when directed by police, drive all vehicles to the same Police Station to file a report.
- Accident reports cannot be filed over the phone.
Did you know that there are 3 Collision Reporting Centres in Ottawa ?
- There are 24 Ontario police services currently using Collision Reporting Centres
- Collision Reporting Centres reduce wait times. Drivers have a 24-hr period to report their accident.
- Collision Reporting Centres process 13,000 collisions annually
Collision Reporting Centres are open 7 days a week and are located at these Ottawa Police Stations:
- Downtown location: 474 Elgin Street,
- East location : 3343 St. Joseph Boulevard (Orleans)
- West location: 211 Huntmar Drive (Kanata)
Once you have filed your accident report or have had someone file a report for you, your personal injury lawyer can obtain a copy of the accident report on your behalf. This accident report will be required if you plan on commencing a lawsuit. If possible, try to write down a copy of your police report number. It is isn’t critical, but can make things easier later on when it comes to gathering all the required documents.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us and we would be happy to help .