Accidents happen in a split section and are generally out of our control. There are however certain things you can do to help yourself and hopefully avoid an accident. It’s hard not to panic in an accident situation. My advice to you is read and re-read these safety tips. Try to ingrain them in your mind. Visualize yourself actually following these safety tips. They could save your life and the lives of others.
Avoid the accident: If the rear tires of your vehicle skid, you should…
- Remove your foot immediately off the accelerator.
- Turn your steering wheel in the direction you want the front wheels to go. If your rear tires are sliding left, steer left. If they’re sliding right, steer right.
- If you start to fishtail, turn the steering wheel gently towards that side. You might have to steer left and right a few times to get your vehicle completely under control. Don’t panic, stay focused.
- If you have standard brakes, gently pump them.
- If you have (ABS), anti-lock brakes don’t pump the brakes. Apply steady pressure to the brakes until they pulse — don’t worry or panic…this is normal.
Avoid the accident: If the front wheels of your vehicle skid, you should…
- Remove your foot from the gas and shift to neutral, but don’t try to steer.
- As the wheels skid sideways, they will slow the vehicle and traction will return. Once you start to feel traction, turn the steering wheel in the direction you want to go. Then put the transmission in “drive” or release the clutch, and gently accelerate.
Avoid the accident: If your vehicle gets stuck, you should…
- Not spin your tires. This will only make things worse and dig you in deeper.
- Turn your tires from side to side a few times to push snow or mud out of the way.
- Use a light touch on the gas, to ease your vehicle out.
- Use a shovel to clear away snow from the tires or underside of the vehicle.
- Pour sand, salt or any other materials that might give your tires some grip. Place it in the path of the wheels to help get traction.
- Try rocking the vehicle by driving gently in forward and reverse.
Most of all, stay calm ! Safe driving !