176 Bronson Ave, Ottawa ON K1R 6H4
(613) 978-9549
(613) 237-4922 ext 203 Toll Free 1-855-553-HURT
email david@ottawainjury.ca

Contact Us

David Hollingsworth team

Our Ottawa injury lawyers understand, we care, we’re here to help... and our track record proves it.

We will travel to your home, hospital, or rehabilitation centre throughout eastern Ontario.

What to do if you have been injured in an Ottawa pedestrian accident and don’t have insurance.

Pedestrian Accident Lawyers

We recently helped a woman who was crossing the street and was hit by a car. She was badly  injured and told that the accident was her fault because she was not crossing at a cross walk.  Our client did not own a car and therefore had no insurance.  She had no idea that there were accident benefits available to her and she didn’t know where to start.

What she needed was a free legal opinion.

What all pedestrians need to know is that if you are injured you may be entitled to compensation through Ontario accident benefits and/or through a tort claim. The compensation to which you are entitled will depend on if you have insurance, if the driver has insurance, the extent of your injuries and other determining factors. Each case is unique. An experienced personal injury lawyer can offer you advise and help you map out a course of action. You may decide not to file a lawsuit or may decide to file a tort claim.  A tort claim is when a lawsuit is filed against the person responsible for the accident.  What this means is that a claim is made against the driver’s insurance company and the driver themselves.  My client was very reluctant to sue someone personally. This is a common feeling.  Many people feel this way and don’t want to sue someone.  We understand this concern but explain to our clients that when a tort claim is made , it is not the individual that would pay out the compensation but rather their insurance company.

If you are at fault and do not have insurance of your own, you may still be entitled to compensation.  A  claim can be filed at the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims (MVAC) Fund. This is a fund specifically designed for situations where someone is injured, requires compensation but there is no insurance company to sue.

All this to say, our client needed support and compensation.  We were able to help get our client the medical, rehabilitative and financial support she needed to start rebuilding her life after her accident.  Here is what she had to say…

“Thank you David.  You guys have been amazing.  I’m so thankful that you believed in my case and helped me; especially given the fact that I thought we had no options. We are going to start the summer with a new attitude on life and a lot of that has to do with what you guys have done for us. Thanks again.”

It is tough to know what rights you have as a pedestrian when it comes to insurance and insurance compensation. If you have been injured as a pedestrian, it’s always best to consult with an expereinced personal injury lawyer to know about your rights. Most Ottawa personal injury lawyers offer free consultations and can sit down with you, review the facts surrounding your accident and help you determine the best way to proceed to ensure you are well taken care of. It never hurts to hear your options.


“ Thanks again! Your support is greatly appreciated. I went back on your website and it's true that your firm does understand, care and are there to help. Thanks, I really mean it.”

RL, Ottawa Ontario