176 Bronson Ave, Ottawa ON K1R 6H4
(613) 978-9549
(613) 237-4922 ext 203 Toll Free 1-855-553-HURT
email david@ottawainjury.ca

Contact Us

David Hollingsworth team

Our Ottawa injury lawyers understand, we care, we’re here to help... and our track record proves it.

We will travel to your home, hospital, or rehabilitation centre throughout eastern Ontario.

Cycling accident and what you need to know.

What to do if you are involved in a cycling accident

Being involved in a cycling accident can be an absolutely dreadful experience. When the other driver fails to remain at the scene of the accident even the simplest collision can quickly turn into a nightmare.

Hit and run accidents are all too common. People driving without insurance, driving under the influence or driving without registration are likely to flee rather than face the music when an accident happens.

Any driver involved in an accident of any kind is required by law to stay at the scene of the accident and help the other driver as much as possible whether it’s another car, a cyclist of a pedestrian. Failure to remain at the scene of an accident is a crime.

Hit and Run Cycling Accident

If you are involved in a hit and run accident, try to record as much information as you can while it is still fresh in your mind.

· The make and model of the car.

· License plate number if you can get it.

· The names and numbers of anyone who witnessed the accident.

Look around to see if there are any cameras on buildings near you or if the accident has been recorded by an onlooker.

If you are not able to track down information on the driver of the vehicle, head to a collision reporting centre to file a report and then check in with your local hospital to get report a medical report.

Cycling Accident and Insurance Claims

Typically, an accident involving a car and cyclist falls under no-fault insurance. Many cyclists will not have their own insurance policy, but could be covered under a family member’s car insurance if they are dependent. Without insurance, or information about the other driver, a cyclist involved in a hit and run accident can make a claim under the Motor Vehicle Accident Claim Fund. 

If the collision causes serious damage or the cyclist is seriously injured, the cyclist can also sue.

“ Thanks again! Your support is greatly appreciated. I went back on your website and it's true that your firm does understand, care and are there to help. Thanks, I really mean it.”

RL, Ottawa Ontario