Ottawa Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer David Hollingsworth.. Ottawa has seen it’s fair share of change in the weather lately. Last week, we received dozens of phone calls related to slip and fall accidents on either private property or public property. Many streets in Ottawa were like skating rinks last week. Not only the roads were slippery, but the sidewalks were also a hazard for pedestrians.
CBC News reported that the City of Ottawa has approximately 2,000 kms of sidewalks and that pedestrians are filing personal injury lawsuits against the city as a result of a slip and fall accident on city of Ottawa property. With all of the flash freezing, snow and rain Ottawa has received lately, the conditions have become very hazardous. Despite the City of Ottawa having plowed the and sanded all city of Ottawa sidewalks 4 times already, people are still slipping and falling on city property and becoming injured. According to the article on CBC news, in Ottawa this season, from Nov. 15 to Jan. 9, 3 people have filed lawsuits against the city of Ottawa for a slip and fall accident on sidewalks. Last winter, a total of 39 people filed related personal injury lawsuits.
What can you do as a property owner?
Like the City of Ottawa, if you own a property, you are responsible for maintaining your property and making sure it is as safe as possible. This means everything from clearing snow, to ensuring stair handrails are secure. Essentially, a property owner is responsible for ensuring that their property is as reasonable safe as possible. If someone injures themselves on your property, you may be liable. What this means is that you will likely need to make an insurance claim and that the claim will go through your insurance company.
Slip and Fall accidents on City of Ottawa property
If you have had an accident on City of Ottawa property and have suffered an injury, it is important that you know your rights and what you need to do. Of the approximately 2000 claims made against the City of Ottawa each year, the City, on average pays compensation for approximately 25% of claims. That leaves 75% of the claims being denied compensation. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you fight this denial and can make sure your claim is not denied in the first place. The City of Ottawa also has specific timelines that need to be adhered to . It is best that you consult with a top Ottawa personal injury lawyer and have all your options reviewed and questions answered when it comes to your Ottawa slip and fall accident.