Ottawa injury lawyer David Hollingsworth explains which Ontario accident benefit forms (OCF forms) you need following an accident in Ontario.

Ottawa Injury Lawyers David Hollingsworth and Associates.  If you have been in an accident in Ontario and are injured, you will most likely need to access your Ontario accident benefits. Ontario accident benefits are provided through your insurance company or the insurance company of other vehicle involved in the accident. You begin by first informing your own insurance company that you have been in an accident. They will then send you an Ontario Accident Benefits package.  By law your insurance company must provide you with these forms, and you have 30 days to complete the necessary accident benefit forms and return them to your insurance company. It is important you fill out these forms are properly filled out.  When a new client comes to us and we act for them as their Ottawa personal injury lawyer, we always recommend that we fill out the forms for them as often times they can be somewhat confusing and challenging if you have never filled them out before.  We have accident benefit specialists who can fill these form out for you in a comprehensive and detailed manner ensuring that there are no errors on your forms that could in turn delay your case. There are a number of Ontario accident benefit forms that need to be completed and depending on what your injuries are and the details of your accident, you may be required to fill out all of them. The primary forms that need to be filled out right away are:

Ontario Accident Benefit Forms:   OCF Forms

  1. OCF-1  : Application for Accident Benefits
    • This is the initial accident benefits form to be filled out when applying for accident benefits as a result of an accident . The OCF-1 form must be filled with your insurance company in order for your personal injury claim to commence.
  2. OCF-2 Employer’s Confirmation of Income
    • The OCF-2 form applies only to those who are claiming Income Replacement Benefits. The OCF-2 form is completed by you and your employer. There are instances where several OCF-2 forms need to be completed. For example if you have been employed by more than one employer in the previous 52 weeks, you may need to fill out an OCF-2 form for each of your previous employers within the previous 52 weeks.
  3. OCF-3 Disability Certificate
    • The OCF-3 form is to be completed mainly by your health practitioner. It needs to be as detailed as possible and describes the extent of your injuries as a result of the accident.
  4. OCF-5 Permission to Disclose Health Information
    • The OCF-5 forms allows for access to your medical records and any previous medical information that can help determine your  accident benefits eligibility.

You have been injured and you are suffering so its important that we get you help as quickly as possible. We are Ottawa personal injury lawyers who can help you by ensuring that you receive all the services you need as well as ensure that you receive maximum compensation for your injuries. Our accident benefit specialists will help you sift through the accident benefits process and will complete all the necessary Ontario accident benefit forms properly and in a timely manner, so as not to delay your case. We understand that these are difficult times and we are here to help.   Our Ottawa injury lawyers can travel to you, your home or your hospital. All consultations are free.


Applying for an Ontario Accident Benefits Package Forms ? Here is what you need to know.

Ottawa Lawyers and Insurance Claims

If you have been in a motor vehicle accident in Ontario and you have suffered personal injury, you will likely need to apply for Ontario accident benefits from your own insurance company, regardless of who is at fault in the accident.  Obtaining the forms is simple, simply visit the Financial Services Commission of Ontario website and  download the forms. Filling out the forms properly is critical to your personal injury claim. It is always best that you get an experienced personal injury lawyer to fill out the forms for you to ensure that no loop holes are missed and that you get the maximum in compensation for your injuries.  We fill out all the Ontario accident benefit forms for our clients. There is no charge for doing this, it’s simply a way to protect you and make sure that you get everything you are entitled to. The main  forms in the Ontario accident benefits package:

1. Application for Accident Benefits (OCF-1)

This Application for Accident Benefits form must be completed and returned within 30 days of  receiving the accident benefits package. If you are unable to return your accident benefits forms within 30 days, submit your forms late to your insurance company and provide  anyway and ea detailed explanation as to why the forms are late. Your Ontario personal injury lawyer can also do this for you on your behalf. It is always recommended that you let your personal injury lawyer represent you and deal directly with your insurance company. Always keep a copy for your records.

2. Employer’s Confirmation of Income (OCF-2)

This accident benefit form needs to be filled out  only if you are claiming Income Replacement Benefits. This means you were employed for at least 26 weeks in the year prior to your  accident and you are unable to return to work for more than a week following your  accident.

3. Disability Certificate (OCF-3)

This accident benefit form must be completed by you and your treating physicians or other health practitioner (chiropractors, dentists, occupational therapists, nurse practitioners, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, optometrists, physicians,  speech language pathologists or psychologists).

4.Permission to Disclose Health Information (OCF-5)

This accident benefit form gives your insurance company full access to your  medical records. Please do not fill out this form unless the adjuster handling your claim specifically requests it. Please also consider allowing your personal injury lawyer to fill out this form on your behalf. If your personal injury lawyer is representing you, they can ask your insurance adjuster which medical records are required and why.

5. Pre-approved Framework Treatment Confirmation Form (OCF-23)

This accident benefits form only needs to be filled out if your injuries fall into certain categories and you insurance company requests it.

The OCF-23 Treatment Confirmation form is to be used to notify an insurer that the health care facility (HCF) intends to
treat an injured patient in the Pre-Approved Framework (if the accident date is prior to September 1, 2010) or in the Minor
Injury Guideline . The OCF-23 Treatment Confirmation form is  used to notify an insurer that the health care facility (HCF) intends to treat an injured patient in the Pre-Approved Framework (if the accident date is prior to September 1, 2010) or in the Minor Injury Guideline (for accident dates on or after September 1, 2010). If in doubt, ask your Ontario personal injury lawyer if this form applies to you.

6. Election of Income Replacement, Non-Earner, or Caregiver Benefit (OCF-10)

In most cases, you will be entitled to Income Replacement Benefit, Non-Earner Benefit and/or the Caregiver Benefit ; you can only receive one of these accident benefits. You must elect which accident benefit you wish to receive. Your personal injury lawyer will know which is the best choice for you and which accident benefit offers you maximum compensation. Let your personal injury lawyer address this with the insurance company on your behalf. This accident benefit form must also be returned  no later than 30 days from the day you receive your accident benefits package. Always make a copy for your own records.

7. Application for Expenses (OCF-6)

This Ontario accident benefits form is used to submit expenses such as medication; physiotherapy, massage or other treatment approved by the insurer; babysitting; attendant care; housekeeping or home maintenance; transportation; destroyed clothing or glasses, etc. Original receipts for any claimed expenses must be submitted with this form.  It is critical that you keep all receipts. In fact, I suggest you keep a “journal” of all related expenses sop that when it comes time to being compensated, nothing gets missed.

8. Activities of Normal Life (OCF-12)

If you are eligible for housekeeping, attendant care or non-earner benefits, this accident benefits form must be completed. Your personal injury lawyer will be able to explain to you whether or not you are eligible.

9. Declaration of Post-Accident Income and Benefits (OCF-13)

This accident benefit form is to be used if you are unable to work at your regular job or regular hours, but are able to partially work to some extent or get disability benefits from your work. This form can be used by your insurance company to calculate the amount of your Income Replacement Benefits. We understand that being in an accident is very stressful. Unfortunately the insurance process afterwards can also be very stressful. We as personal injury lawyers remove this stress from our clients. We fill out, submit all Ontario accident benefits forms for our clients and make sure they are done right. The reality is that one small mistake can result in the loss of thousands of dollars and we don’t want that happening to anyone. Let us help you… For more information, visit