Ottawa Head Injury Lawyer, Ontario Head Injury Lawyers: As an eastern Ontario brain injury lawyer, I continue to be shocked at the brain injury statistics that come out each year as most brain injuries are preventable. A Brain Injury is an invisible personal injury, unlike a cut or a bruise. A brain injury is a catastrophic injury and trauma to the brain is not visible. Often times victims of a brain injury or head injury appear to be uninjured and go about their lives. However; often times someone with a brain injury is suffering and is not showing it. Typically friends, family members, co-workers and employers start to notice small changes…The incidence of brain injury is high in Canada:
Head injury from trauma occurs every 500 out of 100,000 individuals yearly.
It is estimated that there are some 27,000 children with Acquired Brain Injuries in Ontario schools.
- people who wear helmets suffer fewer head injury rates (an average of 25% lower) .
- Bicycle injuries are one of the leading causes of injury for children ages 10-14 years old, and traumatic brain injuries account for close to one third (29%) of all cycling-related hospital admissions.
- Research shows that 20% of people in psychiatric settings appear to have a history of brain injury.
- Helmets use reduces head injury by 88%.
Each year, 50,000 Canadians suffer an Acquired Brain Injury (ABI). In Ontario, 44 people sustain a brain injury daily.
- Close to 500 000 people in Ontario are living with an acquired brain injury.
795 children out of 100,000 individuals suffer a brain injury each year
456 people suffer a brain injury daily in Canada — this amounts to one person injured every 3 minutes.
Most head injury occur in males aged 16 to 24.
Brain injury from trauma is the greatest killer under the age of 45;
The greatest cause of disability under 44;
and kills more children under 20 than all other causes combined
As an Ontario head injury lawyer and one of the top Ottawa brain injury lawyers, I urge everyone out there to slow down, buckle up, put a helmet on ,be alert and be safe out there. A brain injury is life altering and can happen to anyone in an instant.