Tips for teenage drivers
David Hollingsworth is a personal injury lawyer in Ottawa Ontario.
Car accidents are the leading cause of death in teenagers and sadly are on the rise. We can’t have this . The Ottawa Sun published some tips for teenage drivers . The tips originally came from FORD and the Ford Driving Skills for Life program. This program is aimed at helping parents help new teenage drivers and helping them be safe drivers. Some of the best tips were as follows:
1.Focus on driving. Watch the road and keep your hands on the wheel.
2.Always use your seatbelts and make sure your passengers buckle up as well.
3. Obey speed limits. They are there for a reason.
4. Do not talk, text or use any non-hands free device while driving. That;s how people die.
5. Always allow enough room between you and the next vehicle.
6. Be aware of road hazards: animals, potholes and other drivers.
7. Obey all driving laws. This includes piling too many people in the car etc..
8. Never drink and drive. There is always a better, safer alternative. Find one !
All of these seem obvious, but please take a moment and review or have your teenager read them, AGAIN. It will never hurt. We have to be able to empower our teenage drivers and make sure they have the tools they need to be out on the roads safely. Please, we owe it to them. As parents, we won’t always be in the car with our children. That is why it is imperative that we teach them and give them the tools to safely handle a vehicle. It might just be one of the most valuable lessons you ever taught your child.
For over a decade, we have been Ottawa injury lawyers helping Ontario accident victims and specializing in Ontario personal injury law and insurance claims.